The factory was modernized and expanded under supervision of Charles Gascoigne in 1787–96.
During Catherine's municipal reform of 1777, Petrovskaya Sloboda was incorporated as a town, whereupon its name was changed to Petrozavodsk.
The town's best-known landmark became the wooden church of Saints Peter and Paul, rebuilt in 1772 and renovated in 1789.
The church retained its original iconostasis until this relic of Peter's reign was destroyed by fire on October 30, 1924.
The Finns set up internment camps for civilians of Russian ethnicity which they operated until the Red Army liberated the area.
Six camps were set up in Petrozavodsk, with 23,984 civilians of Russian ethnicity confined in them.
Archeological discoveries in the urban area indicate the presence of a settlement as far back as seven thousand years ago, and during the Middle Ages the site of modern city was marked by several lakeside villages.In 1977, Petrozavodsk was the epicenter of what is called the Petrozavodsk phenomenon.Petrozavodsk is the capital of the republic and, within the framework of administrative divisions, it also serves as the administrative center of Prionezhsky District, Petrozavodsk is distinguished among other towns of North Russia by its Neoclassical architectural heritage, which includes the Round Square (1775, reconstructed in 17) and the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (consecrated in 1832).Within the city limits, the district of Solomennoje appears in surviving records dating back to the sixteenth century, and a map produced by the Flemish cartographer Abraham Ortelius at the end of that century places a settlement here called Onegaborg on the site of modern Petrozavodsk.On September 11, 1703, Prince Menshikov founded the settlement of Petrovskaya Sloboda ("Petrine Sloboda").